1. Your mom is dead. Good, bad, or indifferent, she's dead. There is that to wrap your minds around. There is grieving even if it is for a mother you never had.
2. She died 3-months ago. You are three months behind on news that is pretty important to both of you. YOUR MOTHER. I am not implying 'mother' like the hallmark card version, just you know - YOUR version. It's still pretty important to know that a mother is dead, for grief OR celebration. That's a mind fuck right there.
3. She kept it from you ON PURPOSE. She hated you both enough to WANT to fuck with your heads one last huge time. (My NP was indifferent - I have said that sometimes I feel lucky for that.)
4. She cozied up to Q's ex - his (I guess, for lack of a better word?) NEMESIS, at least as far as your mom was concerned. She wanted to be on the same team as his worst enemy. She plotted against him with this ex - like Judas AND Brutus (Comedy Team!) (sorry...) She knew the sore-est, most open wound he had, and poured acid in it. Like one of those psychopaths on Law & Order SVU - she did what she did and it made her happy to think of y’all suffering.
5. The $100 was a final ha-ha fuck you. I know you know that already. Also - there is probably a law that the executor (sorry...) has to distribute all funds left to anyone in a will within so many days of somethingorother. <--legal jargon, just go with it.
6. Q's ex was outside his house that one night making sure that he still lived there. Far cheaper to do your own recognizance. Sis, I am betting that the ex or someone close to her was spying on your residence at the same time. So when she sent the certified letters she was certain you would receive them. Her work was done.
We talk and talk and talktalktalk out here about hateful parents. But this PROOF – this concrete absolute proof of the hatred is proving impossible for me to deal with. My brain cannot fathom this – and I guess that’s what makes us different from THEM.
Certainly I could kill or hurt – for protection, for revenge, you bet. But for PLEASURE – nope. To say ‘it don’t compute’ is so trite, and yet the idea of that kind of hatred bounces off my head, doesn’t get in.
You guys – I’m just so sorry. No fake internet hugs or kisses. Hug each other, for fucks sakes. I’m bewildered with this and have nothing else I can say.
EXCEPT: (oh come ON, you thought I could be silent??)
I think you should write a book about it. LISTEN TO ME. I’m not remotely kidding. This is as good as any Lifetime Movie I have ever seen. You can’t put that money "inheritance" in the bank (it will rot your savings). You can’t put it in your gas tank (ditto automobile). But you could pool your newly found resources and use that money to pay for copies at Kinkos or Staples. Pay for some paper. Pay for the County Court fees to retrieve documents. Plat maps, birth certificates, marriage certificates... And start writing an outline. You will need an outline for a book proposal to submit to publishers. That will take some time to organize (BINDERS! My favorite thing!) but it will take NOTHING else, because you both together have this story embedded in your brains. You have photographs. You have PROOF. You don’t have to come up with characters, or dialog. You have a writing group (THE ULBs, DUH) who would be happy to read chapters, to proofread when your brains get tired – we would all (I am speaking for everyone but so what) be happy to donate time to getting this book out. I personally have a copy of “The Writers Market” I would like to send you. It’s a 2009 edition, but it can’t be THAT far out of date. It lists every single magazine and book editor. Once you have your proposal done, you can start sending it out for interest. If “Julie and Julia” can get a book deal, this can. Let me know what address to send the book to - I am not using it and YOU ARE GOING TO.
THIS – this would be the final FUCK YOU to your mother. And to the ex. Even if you only make $10,000 on the thing (doubtful because this story is KILLER) (sorry…) it will be money she didn’t intend for you, money that the ex will not see. And the story that your mother tried to bury (sorry…)
PLUS – the ending. The certified letters with the $100 checks. That is an ending Hollywood couldn’t write. I am so passionate about this idea – I am behind both of you PUSHING YOU.
I also hope you’re both ok.